Wednesday, October 29, 2008

iPhone

About two months ago I bought myself an iPhone. I needed one for work, and it seemed like a good idea (albeit an expensive one). Being something of a technogeek, and recently having changed to a MacBook, I was keen to discover for myself what all the hype was about.

So what I like about the iPhone is the size of the screen and navigation. The keyboard is a little tricky to get used to, but does end up being quicker than a normal cellphone, where you have to tap the same key three or four times to get the letter you want.

Battery life sucks. I'm now in the habit of plugging the iPhone in to my MacBook every morning to recharge.

WiFi is awesome and totally transparent. I've configured my home and work connections, and as soon as I'm in range, the iPhone switches off 3G and on WiFi. That's cool.

The camera has poor picture quality, is difficult to use and doesn't have any video capability. I guess we'll need to wait for iPhone 3.0 to get that.

I like the iPod functionality, although having to configure song lists on my MacBook and download via iTunes is inconvenient for me. In fact, all updates to the iPhone are handled by iTunes, which is a pain as I'd like to be able to do it directly from the device. I couldn't even activate the phone without having plugged it in to iTunes.

But the best and most promising part of the iPhone is the App Store. I love this, and until you see it in action, it's hard to comprehend the huge potential that the App Store possesses. Apple have made the delivery, installation and updating of "iApps" so easy. (If only developing them was the same.)

So overall I have to say I like the iPhone. Oh, and I guess I should comment that the phone quality is superb.

Until next time.

Stuart
Silver Fox

1 comment:

Wandering Dodd said...

so jealous! i hav ip envy, which btw is betta than ip seating. always good when it can be done under the cover of 'needed it for work' ... gives it an air of legitimacy ;)